Skip to main content

DIY IoT: sweet memories

With all the hype that do-it-yourself IoT is getting today, we're seing solderless boards connected to computers. That brings back good old memories to me.

At the back of my books you can read that I controlled my electric train using an Atari ST. It was HO scale and I used the computer's parallel port connected to some relays. That was circa 1990.

Well I don't have pictures of that but then I moved on to controlling a tinier train with a Psion Series 3 circa 1992. Same solderless boards and relays. I don't have pictures from that time either but I do still have the hardware, thanks to my parents:


Unfortunately it's disconnected now, but wouldn't require much to get connected again. Between the parallel port and relays there where (one for each output) a transistor and a resistor. 8 relays, 8 resistors, 8 transistors: I managed to control 8 independent outputs. Which allowed me in turn to control the train's movement (forward, backwards), plus rail switches. That was hell of a funny DIY project. Bad part was that the computer couldn't receive feedback from the train.

An Atari ST couldn't be connected to the internet. But the Psion Series 3 had a 14K modem which allowed it to connect to the newborn internet. So it could have been IoT. In fact it wasn't, since you could not connect at the same time the parallel adapter and the modem: they were on the same port. Anyway, back in 1991 who would have been crazy enough to think that internet could be connected to hardware? ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn Meteor book available

I'm pleased to announce the general release of my Learn Meteor book. It is now available as an ebook or print book from various sources: Learn Meteor print (paperback) on Lulu Learn Meteor ebook on LeanPub Learn Meteor ebook on Barnes & Noble Learn Meteor ebook on iBooks Learn Meteor ebook on Kobo Learn Meteor ebook on Scribd Learn Meteor ebook on Inktera Page Foundry Learn Meteor ebook on 24symbols Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon US Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon UK Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon France Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon Deutschland Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon Canada Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon India Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon Brasil Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon Mexico Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon España Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon Italia Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon Netherlands Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon Japan Learn Meteor ebook on Amazon Australia More sources are coming soon for the print version. Learn Meteor has been a fun experienc